Posted on February 27, 2020 by Kelly Wilk
How does E-Torque work in Ram Trucks and Jeep SUVs?
That’s a Good Question
There are a lot of good questions that we all begin to ask at a small age. Why does the sun go down at night, where does the rain come from or how exactly does the e-torque technology in new Ram Trucks and Jeep SUVs work? Well I guess that last one is not so popular among the five to seven year olds but it is still a good question to ask and I am going to answer it for you now. The 2020 Jeep Wrangler eTorque vehicles have a mild hybrid technology that first became an engine option in the 2019 and 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport editions. The benefit of this system is that it creates much better towing capacity as well as the all important fuel economy. The reason it is such an innovative development is that it is able to provide that fuel economy without the torque, power or capability suffering for it.
So how DOES it work?
The new Ram Trucks and Jeep SUVs with e-Torque are a special breed of pick up. They are driven by a belt-driven motor generator that has various functions. These awesome machines are available in the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine and Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engines as a replacement for more traditional alternators. The eTourque engine utilizes a 48-volt battery pack and when it runs it provides that amount of current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The engine is able to hold a charge care of the 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC converter. The engine in turn is able to convert 48 volts to 12 volts to power the accessories as well as charge the 12-volt lead-acid battery. Both engines are fitted with a liquid-cooled eTorque unit mounted using a pair of belt tensioners keeping the 8-rib drive belt tight when the unit is generating electricity or adding torque to the crankshaft. That is the gist of how the technology works but there are many benefits to a truck with this kind of mild hybrid technology.
Benefits of a 48-volt battery pack (combined with motor generator)
- Smooth start/stop functions
- Capability for short-duration torque with engine crankshaft in applicable driving conditions
- Brake energy regeneration increasing efficiency and responsiveness
- Insulation to decrease noise produced by dual cooling fans
- Function to draw interior air out built-in cabin exhausters
Some things have remained the same on the 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine and the Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine. For instance they both still sport the 12-volt starter motor that is great for cold and especially cold initial starts due to its high efficiency in extreme temperatures. And lets face it, in Ontario this year we could have a sudden cold start of day any time. However there are other benefits of the eTorque engine, for Jeep SUVs and Ram Trucks and so here’s a snap shot and reasons why it will help you power though!
Benefits of the mild hybrid eTorque technology
- Redistributes energy from deceleration/braking to recharge battery
- Crankshaft with extra torque reduces noise, vibration and harshness
- Liquid –cooled eTorque with belt tensioners keep 8-rib tight when creating electricity or torque
- Adds 285 horsepower/260 pound-feet of torque to 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine
- Maximum torque is reached in the rev range at 4,800 rpm
- Achieves best-in-class 270 horsepower, 295 pound-feet of torque with turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine
2019/2020 Jeep Wrangler's eTorque Warranty
- 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
- Covers cost of parts, labour needed for covered powertrain component – engine, transmission and drive system
- Towing to the nearest Jeep dealer
- Coverage transferable to new owners during warranty period
- 3-year standard/50,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty covers body and electrical system
- Basic Limited Warranty includes the Federal Emission Warranty
- Covers the following parts of the eTorque system for 7 years or 70,000 miles
Parts covered under the Basic Limited Warranty
- EGR Cooler — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
- Fuel Tank Assembly — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
- Transmission Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
- Turbocharger — 2.0L engine
- Includes parts by the Federal Emission Warranty
Parts Covered by Federal Emission Warranty for 8years/80,000 miles
- Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator — 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)
- Catalytic Converter — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
- Powertrain Control Module — 2.0L and 3.6L engines
- Power Pack Unit — 48 Volts 2.0L and 3.6L engines with BSG (If Equipped)
So if you are in the market for a new Ram Truck or the 2020 Jeep SUVs with eTorque you really have a lot to consider when it comes to the capability and function of a 3.6L Pentastar V6 or Turbocharged 2.0L I4 engines with e-Torque. With that 48-volt battery pack it certainly has the power to bring some very cool functionality to your vehicle. That gentle start/stop button will make readying for the road a function available at your finger tips. Once on the road the capability of the e-Torque, brake efficiency and regeneration, quiet and cool atmosphere will make it a pleasure to drive. So will the amazing technology that actually recharges and cools your battery while driving and the horsepower will leave you lost for words, or the guy next to you.
All in all these green beasts are going to make waves wherever you drive be that on the highway or the less driven track. And not only will you drive the new Ram trucks and 2020 Jeep Wranglers with eTorque with peace of mind but the warranties on them will even further secure the future of your SUV. For the Wranglers, whether you look at the Powertrain Limited Warranty or the Basic Limited Warranty including the Federal Emission Warranty they all give you great choices. They give you great options for covering the special parts and special services you need to feel secure on the road of life, no matter what life decides to throw at you. And on the road of life you will be able to drive on weathering the weather, smoothing out the bumps, hauling the loads and just plain getting you where you need to go. See you on the road my friend and if you see one of these great SUVs don't be afraid to honk!